Join NJSACC for an exciting year of service promoting exciting, hands-on STEM learning in NJ’s afterschool programs!
This posting is for a one-year AmeriCorps VISTA year of service. A modest living allowance is provided but this is NOT a permanent, salaried position with NJSACC.
More information about AmeriCorps VISTA may be found here.
This position is a great opportunity for a recent college graduate or anyone interested in changing careers to gain experience in the nonprofit sector. Those interested in youth development, informal education and STEM education are encouraged to apply.
Afterschool STEM VISTA Project Coordinator
Start Date: June 2014 (a required Pre-Service Orientation is June 17-20)
Application deadline: ASAP
Type: Full-time position. AmeriCorps VISTA members receive a modest living allowance depending on county of residence (about $1,000 per month).
Benefits: Health, Child Care, Relocation, Training, End of Service Education Award / ($5,550) or End of Service Cash Stipend ($1,500)
Location: Westfield, NJ
About this position:
NJSACC, the Statewide Network for NJ’s Afterschool Communities, in partnership with the Afterschool Alliance, want all children to have access to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) learning opportunities in NJ’s afterschool programs.
High quality STEM-based afterschool programs provide the perfect environment to engage youth in STEM related topics without risk of academic failure, improve attitudes towards STEM fields, and increase the likelihood that youth will graduate and pursue a STEM career.
The STEM VISTA Project Coordinator will:
- Map STEM afterschool programs, identify gaps of service, and develop partner engagement strategies;
- Establish a community support system that links established afterschool programs with potential partners and STEM resources;
- Serve in a technical assistance and coaching role in order to assist STEM programs in building their internal capacity; and ,
- Will develop a model for recruiting, training, and matching STEM mentors in the local community with afterschool programs.
This position is a year-long assignment beginning in June 2014 and ending June 2015. Applicant must be willing to commit to a one-year assignment. A modest living allowance is provided but this is NOT a permanent, salaried position with NJSACC.
More information about AmeriCorps VISTA may be found here!
- Must have strong writing, research and analytic skills
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and a willingness to learn and use a variety of online tools
- Must have valid driver’s license, access to a car and willingness to travel throughout NJ for meetings and events
- The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated interest in STEM education, youth development, and/or community service
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Ability to work with diverse groups of individuals and constituencies
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- A Bachelor’s degree is required for this position.